Pageviews past week

Monday, August 27, 2012

HOMEMADE CAKE STANDS



Got this idea from a fellow  caker who's just as frugal as I am. I don't know about you but I spend enough money on ingredients and cake decorations and tools. I don't want to spend a lot for a stand but...to each his own! The picture above are cake stands for a half sheet and full sheet cake. I charge a small refundable fee for events. The fee is refunded upon safe return of my stand.

I used a Heavy Duty stapler and covered the bottom of my stands with thick Vinyl Covering.

This covering wrapped around most of the underside of my board, but not all.


For the tops I only covered the edges as when I put silk covers on it won't slip off. The type of board used is called "OSB" which I purchased at Home Depot, the prices vary but right now it's $14.77 for a 4 ft by 8 ft piece. The assistants there were VERY helpful in cutting my board to my specifications.


More photos of the top.

As you can see I had 6 stands cut for14, 12, 10, 9, 8 and 6 inch cakes. The sizes cut were:
14 inch pan/16' board, 12inch pan/14' board/9inch pan/11'board/8inch pan/10'board/10inch pan/12'inch board/6inch pan/7 1/2' board. I had  2x4 wood cut to fit between the two boards for each stand. Theses 2x4's were cut at a graduated angle, so how high or low you have them cut depends on the look you want. The particular 2x4's were cut in a stair step fashion. 


These are all the tools I needed. Clear Vinyl Covering (Wal-Mart), Heavy Duty Stapler and Staples, 1 5/8inch self-drilling screws and my handy dandy (well, my husband’s) Duro Pro electric screwdriver.



Oh...and be sure to wear gloves, splinters from the wood are NO fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear from you!