Pageviews past week

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Pineapple Upside Down Cake Story


My Mom would bake this cake every Christmas for us 4 kids, she used dark brown sugar (I used light here) but we would all rush to get a corner and leave her with a "cross" in the middle. The corners were our favorites because that's where all the brown sugar and buttery goodness would wedge (and she made them a little crunchy as well).
 
Today my family had a Memorial to honor her memory because this was the day we laid her to rest. My sister first sent me a text this morning with a photo of the pineapple upside down cake she made simply entitled "For Mom". So I thought, why not! I decided to make one too and it turned out MUCH better than my first that I tried to make for my husband’s birthday (I forgot the pineapples and cherries....I know, HOW COULD I FORGET THE PINEAPPLE IN A "PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE"??? The same way a person can forget the "Oatmeal" in "Oatmeal Cookies" (did that once too but, I'm not bragging, that was just embarrassing).
 
Another time when I was stationed in Italy, my Mom decided to ship me a pineapple upside down cake! I was SO surprised and SO excited to get that box you have NO IDEA! It was the most JACKED up cake by the time it reached me but it was still in the packaging and I think I tried to eat the ENTIRE cake before I even got it out of the box (it was lunch time anyway :-). It was like having a piece (or pieces) of home and just made my day (my husband’s as well but....he didn't get to eat much of it..Oopsy!).
 But my Sister and I have decided from now on that each year on November 4th we would both make pineapple upside down cakes a sweet gesture for the sweetest Mom.
 

 



2 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable story. A wonderful Memory. My dad, whose birthday was on the fourth, loved pineapple upside cake too. I haven't made one in years. Maybe this might be a good time to make one. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only made two my entire life...liked my Mom's better :-).

    ReplyDelete

We'd like to hear from you!