Pageviews past week

Sunday, December 23, 2012

"Presents and Presence"

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)
"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
 

I recall as a young woman on my own, sitting in my first tiny apartment (immaculate...I was a clean freak!) around Christmas Eve, starring at my tiny, very well decorated and lit up Christmas tree with tears in my eyes.
 God had blessed me to take very good care of myself, had a job, bills paid, food in the fridge, nice clothes in my closet a vehicle (that ran) and excellent health. Yet I was sitting and crying not because of the lack of presents because I could have purchased anything I wanted (un-fortunately I also received my first nice, red and shiny CREDIT CARD that year also). Young people, if you are reading this, pay cash and "JUST SAY NO THANK YOU!"...you have to pay that money back and the bill will haunt you down no matter how many times you move...but, I digress.
 Again, wasn’t the lack of "presents" that had me down, but the lack of a "Presence". As a young Christian I had yet to tap into the vast resources of the very presence of Jesus Christ. I tried to fill my life with everything except the one thing that could satisfy any and every need I could ever have. And that was the endless fountain of the word of God. I had it right there, open (As decor') on my coffee table between two lovely knick knacks. Even though I was a young Christian and sometimes didn't understand the word, just opening and reading it somehow gave me a peace, I never understood that until now.
 So when or if you are already on your own, no family around and you are a Christian or not, tap into the endless life saving and life changing resources of God. Don't allow the lack of presents or a presence, distress you. God is a constant and available presence, who is just waiting for you to call on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear from you!