Pageviews past week

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Apple Crisp....My Way


Photo is loading
 

Oatmeal apple crisp was one dessert I recall as a child that I absolutely LOVED and never forgot it. I had dinner with my friend Ms Sharon who was gracious enough to  shared her recipe with me, so as always, I put my own spin to it :-). Hope you love it too! This recipe makes a lot so you may want to split it into two smaller pans of your choosing.



These are the basic ingredients used. The natural cinnamon and mace (nutmeg) I purchased from a natural grocer here in town. I used, earth balance vegan butter, King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour, Organic dark brown sugar and "salted" mixed nuts (you can use un-salted as well).
 

Basic Raspberry Jam: 2 cups fresh raspberries (washed) and 2 cups sugar, cook until soft mushy and bubbly, strain by stirring in a sifter slowly. You can add lemon juice to taste or leave out since this recipe calls for it also.


 Filling
6 cups chopped apples, do not peel
 1 1/2 cup Raspberry Jam (or frozen)
 2 peeled “Cuties” (or ½ cup mandarin oranges, drained)
 1 tbls natural cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cardamom
 1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp All Spice
1/4 or  1/2 cup water (I prefer mine juicy so take your pick by starting with 1/4 cup of water)
2 tbls lemon juice (try it with one first, I like to taste the lemon)

 Crisp

 
1 cup quick oats (or rolled)
 
1 cup chopped mixed nuts (chopped fine), they should look like this

 
1/2 (leveled) cup whole wheat flour
 
1 stick vegan butter (melted)
 
1/4 cup firmly packed organic brown sugar
 
1 tsp natural cinnamon
 
1/4 tsp allspice
 
1/4 tsp natural nutmeg

 
1/4 tsp salt

  Pre heat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8-inch glass dish, 2-inches deep and spray with a non-stick spray.

The Filling

 Combine the chopped apples, oranges with homemade raspberry jam (or frozen raspberries), I made my jam because I don't like the seeds, so after I followed the basic recipe for making raspberry jam I strained it to remove all the seeds.  You can also add or substitute 1 cup fresh blueberries. Add natural cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt Simmer over medium heat until thickening and bubbly. Pour Into prepared pan (S).

 The Crisp
 Combine the oats, flour, nuts, brown sugar, vegan butter, and spices. Mix until crumbly then prinkle
mixture over the top of your fruit (I sprinkled a little lemon juice over this for more moisture) and bake for 40 minutes or until the crisp browns nice and crunchy.


Serve warm or cool…either way it’s AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear from you!