This was delicious! Get the original recipe from "Vegenista's Blog" Yummy!
“Summer Squash Risotto with Fresh Garlic, Petite Peas & Basil”
· ¼ Cup Olive oil
· 1/2 Onion, chopped 3 tbls chopped green onions
· 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
· 1/4 cup white wine (cooking Wine)
· 4-5 cups organic vegetable broth (keep extra broth handy, rice absorbs quickly)
· 1 ½ cup Arborio rice
· 2 medium yellow squash
· 1 small fresh Zuccinni
· 1/2 cup frozen, thawed petite peas
· 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned (I used a tsp of dried)
· 3 Tbsp. vegan margarine
· 1 small can mushrooms
· Freshly ground pepper (optional)
1. Wash squash & cut into 1/2 moons about a 1/2 inch thick. Set aside.
2. In a large, heavy saucepan (I used a dutch oven, the sauce pan would not hold it all) or dutch oven, heat olive oil, & add onions & garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Stir in the rice, & cook 2 minutes until opaque. Add wine & stir until absorbed.
4. Ladle broth into rice, one ladleful at a time, stirring frequently over medium heat, after each addition. Wait until broth is almost completely absorbed before adding more.
5. After about 15 minutes, add squash & peas. Continue stirring & adding broth until the vegetables are tender & the rice is al dente but looks creamy, about 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, add fresh basil, margarine & stir. Season with fresh black pepper & garnish with more fresh basil. For a little extra brightness, top each dish with fresh lemon zest. (I used fresh parmigian cheese)
Here are the main ingredients I used, got them from a local grocery store. Used dried basil because I didn't have any fresh.
I love mushrooms in my risotto!
I had to switch from a skilled to dutch oven, my additional 1/2 cup rice and zuccini was a bit of an overload. I added additional broth as this rice absorbs moisture quickly.