Pageviews past week

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sweet N' Crunchy Nut Mix

This recipe was adapted from "Good Housekeeping" at: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/sweet-sassy-nuts-holiday-gifts
 I made these for a ladies fellowship today. I don't know about you but, the best time to try out a new recipe...is when you're feeding total strangers that DON'T know you?! Though, these ladies do know me but...trust my "experiments" anyway :-).
 

SWEET N’ CRUNCHY NUTS
3 Egg Whites (used the already prepared, 3 tbls = 1 large egg white)
1 Cup Sugar
¼ Cup packed Brown Sugar
½ heaping tsp Cumin
¼ tsp Chipotle Ground Chile pepper
1 Tbls Cinnamon
1 tsp good Vanilla
Sea Salt (to taste)
3 Can (s) 10 oz Planters salted mixed nuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I used 2 cookie sheets, covered in foil and  sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
 
  1. In large bowl, with wire whisk, I  beat egg whites, sugars, cumin, chipotle pepper, vanilla and cinnamon until well combined.  Add nuts  and mix with a rubber spatula until well coated.
 
  1. Spread nut mixture evenly in prepared  pans. Bake on 2 oven racks  25 – 30 minutes or until coating on nuts is golden-brown and dry. At 20 minutes I tossed around once and put pans back in for more browning. Once cooled they become yummy, crunchy goodness! Just break apart with your hands. You can store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks but…it won’t last that long J.
NOTE: The only thing I would change is add more ground Chipotle peppers because I could barely taste it. So that would be added according to your taste. I also sprinkled with a little sea salt at the 20 minute mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear from you!